I babysat for Beckett [three-year-old awesomeness] tonight… But this story is from a while ago…
I walked into Beckett’s house and his mom was rushing around trying to get out the door. She gave me a quick rundown for the evening, but it didn’t take much explanation because I had been babysitting on the regular. Right before she left, she told me…
– Oh, and please don’t use the bathroom in our room… The toilet is broken.
– Oh. Yeah, sure.
And with that, she left. I found it a bit odd… “Ummm okay… Why would I go into your room and use your toilet in the first place?”
But at dinner, it all became clear when Beckett spoke up…
– You broke the toilet.
– What? No, I didn’t.
– Yes, you did.
– Noooooo…. I didn’t.
– Yes you did that’s what I told Mommy. [all in one breath.]
– What?? Beckett, did you tell your mom that I broke the toilet.
– Yes… Because you did.
– No, I didn’t!
– YES, YOU DID! I told Mommy that you broke the toilet because YOU DID.
– Beckett! I promise I did not break the toilet.
– You’re lying… Because you did.
Oh man. At this point I found myself getting highly upset… arguing… with a three-year-old. I had to settle myself down… but I didn’t just then… I argued with him for a whole second more…. But then I did finally settle down…
– Okay, Beckett… After I say this, we are NOT allowed to talk about the toilet anymore… Okay?
– Alright. Now, I am not a liar. I do not tell lies. And I’m telling you right now that I did not break the toilet. And that’s all I’m going to say about that.
– Good. Let’s get dessert.
So we did. And the night went on as usual… We played robots, watched Scooby Doo, etc. Then, while playing blocks, Beckett sheepishly says…
– If you put too much toilet paper in the toilet, it’ll break.
[why you little…]
– Oh really? Beckett, is that what you did to the toilet?
– Beckett, is that how you broke the toilet?
– Alright then. Well, it’s okay… I’m sure you didn’t mean to.
1 thought on “…because you did.”
I”m still shaking my head at this. Kids…